408 Addressing Racism in Corrections
Meeting Date(s): May 6-7, 2017
Meeting Day and Time: Saturday and Sunday, 9:00 a.m.-2:20 p.m.
Online Date(s): May 8-17
Location: MCK 240A May 8-17
Grade Option: Pass/No Pass
This class will cover the following topics:
- Basic understanding of institutional racism
- Key elements of culture
- Unearned disadvantage and unearned advantage
- How disparities and inequitable system occur
- People's alienation from community and ritual
- Understanding and interrupting systems of power, oppression and bias
- Disproportionate minority contact in the criminal justice system
- Case studies of programs that successfully addressed disproportionality
Please note: This is a "self-support" course. This self-support fee listed above replaces the cost of regular tuition and is paid regardless of student residency status or total course load. Course fees are subject to change at anytime. For more information on tuition consult the Registrar's Office. Students using financial aid, VA benefits, or other scholarships should review the details of their financial package to confirm that self-support fee courses are covered.